Friday, October 26, 2012

Frozen Shoulder

 I had been experiencing some shoulder pain over the last couple of months. It has limited my mobility some what, Well I finally mentioned it to my doctor. After I described the pain to her and completing physical exam. She diagnosed Frozen Shoulder. Pain med was given and I was referred to P.T.( Physical Therapy) It actually was a relief to know it was just not par for the course as a patient with Myasthenia. After further reading I discovered that my long stay in ICU could have contributed. There you have it mystery solved.

Definition
Frozen shoulder, also called adhesive capsulitis, causes pain and stiffness in the shoulder. Over time, the shoulder becomes very hard to move.
Frozen shoulder occurs in about 2% of the general population. It most commonly affects people between the ages of 40 and 60, and occurs in women more often than me

 Cause
The causes of frozen shoulder are not fully understood. There is no clear connection to arm dominance or occupation. A few factors may put you more at risk for developing frozen shoulder.
Diabetes. Frozen shoulder occurs much more often in people with diabetes, affecting 10% to 20% of these individuals. The reason for this is not known.
Other diseases. Some additional medical problems associated with frozen shoulder include hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, Parkinson's disease, and cardiac disease.
Immobilization. Frozen shoulder can develop after a shoulder has been immobilized for a period of time due to surgery, a fracture, or other injury. Having patients move their shoulders soon after injury or surgery is one measure prescribed to prevent frozen shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment