Wednesday, January 11, 2012

You Don"t Look sick

Most recently I went for a Chest CT. While the technician was drawing my blood we struck up a conversation. We spoke of my current condition and my former occupation. I shared I was currently retired and receiving disability. She offered up a story about a former patient. Apparently this patient had a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer and was tube feed. Her physical appearance was altered by the disease and she wore a bag on her side.And for what ever reason she was unable to receive any Social Security disability. My heart went out to this woman immediately because any affliction is devastating. The technician then went on to say,"If you were to walk in to the Social Security office they would not give you any disability monies" She immediately per-judged me from my appearance. I guess if I had been more disheveled and much more depressed I would appear more deserving. A similar attitude is given when I use the electric wheel chairs that are now offered in department and grocery stores. Or even when I utilize the handicap parking that I have been approved. What is not seen is the effort it takes to get dressed. Or that when I feel up to it I take that long walk around Walmart. But I still end up short of breath. I spend 5min. or so in my car catching my breath before I pull off. Nor is it seen how Patients with Myasthenia have to make a huge effort to do the little things most people take for granite. I could go on and on. But it is not worth it. Because unfortunately complaining takes up energy I don't have.........lol

No comments:

Post a Comment