Thursday, March 30, 2017

IN TIMES OF CRISIS......

IT IS A GAME OF BALANCE

Living with Myasthenia Gravis is to know it is a Chronic Disease. And Chronic diseases  persists over a long period. So with that being said. I still have periods of exacerbation resulting in particular symptoms. In managing my illness I try to play close attention to symptoms. Because they are MY red flags.

I manage by listening close to my body. Myasthenia Gravis has some characteristic documented symptoms.
Your eyes are affected first.This disease tends to attack muscle groups used for movement, meaning they are muscles that you have voluntary control of. Weakness can often be detected in the eyelids first, and the weakness can cause one or both eyelids to droop.

It affects the way I walk and My ability to breathe at times.
I personally use a walking cane. I also use a rolling walker. When out shopping I use any of the public electric wheelchairs. They aid me with stability and balance.
Perhaps the worst-case scenario, the disease affects my ability to breathe (from weakness of My chest muscles), causing what is called a “myasthenic crisis” – which is a medical emergency.

Here I am receiving an IVIG Infusion.
One of the weirder things I learned about Myasthenia. Is it's called the over 40 disease. I could some how feel offended by this fact. Had I not been diagnosed when I was in my late 40s. That being said, it’s quite a rare condition, affecting only about 20 people per 100,000 in the U.S. http://myasthenia.org/

 Symptoms of Myasthenia Gravis (or MG) tend to worsen over longer periods of time.  This fact qualifies it as a Progressive disease. My symptoms can fluctuate on a daily basis. I like a majority of people with MG. After repeated muscle use, I will experience increased weakness in the evenings.

Myasthenia Gravis is also an Autoimmune Disease. Basically My body’s immune system (which normally destroys foreign substances) mistakenly attacks My healthy tissues.  There is a specific area of the nerve that is affected. Which leads to less responsiveness and the feeling of weakness in Our affected muscles. 

One of the ways that MG is diagnosed. The doctor can order a special blood test to show if there are elevated levels of the antibodies. This for me was the definitive test. In confirming I actually had MG. Their are other test that are also used in diagnoses.

And finally there are treatment options. There are no complete fixes available for MG, but doctors have some tools at their disposal to combat this disease. For example, A doctor may choose to go the medication route, prescribing corticosteroids and immunosuppressants that lessen the autoimmune severity. 
There is also a treatment called Immunoglobulin Therapy (IVIG). Immunoglobulins are the antibodies of the immune system. In the picture I shared a early morning infusion appointment. Don't know why I did but here it is. So this is me so....Until Next Time...HOW YOU LIVIN?

3 comments:

  1. You inspire those with or without the disease! Your journey is entwined in others journey! Much love and admiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Myasthenia Gravis reaches its extreme severity when the person affected is not resting because it doesn’t cause any harm when a person is at rest.

    ReplyDelete