Wednesday, March 15, 2017

My Dmv Horror story.

 My fight for Independence

Since I  have  by the Grace of God. Survived my last huge Myasthenic Crisis.  I am beginning to gradually  take hold of my life again. Up until now I  had been driven back and forth by my Children. Because of the Ventilator that I used to assist my breathing. And the attached oxygen tank,suction machine and walker. Yes I was a traveling hospital room. As my health slowly improved and I put away equipment. And I no longer had my car/ambulance driver/kids to take me around. The Doctor appointments didn't stop. So I  realize it was time to drive.
Well it appeared that I missed my drivers license renewal. And that meant a trip to (A loud Scream) The DMV. My daughter and I decided on a day to go to DMW for my license renewal. I went with all the paperwork I thought I would need to complete this task. We waited in line(at the DMV there is always a line) patiently. I made it to the desk and explained my situation. I then told I did not have enough to renew my license. I was missing the proof of residence. So I need a utility bill or bank statement. I thought that would be a easy fix. Being that I could download a statement from my online bank account. So that day I left without my license.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My first trip to church since my crisis. Here you will see I have a Tracheotomy still in place. The purple thing is my passey Muir valve. It allowed me to speak thru the trach. And the Beautiful woman in the back ground is my Oldest Daughter. She and I were attending a Mother and Daughter Breakfast at church. The tickets were gifts from one of my church sisters (hi Patsy)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
We took a chance my daughter and I, went back the next day. Found my place in the line. Made it to the counter this time I had brought all the information I was told I needed. I felt proud, I am not going to lie. I just knew this was a done deal.Well I also brought my paperwork to renew my Handicap parking sticker as well. As a person with Myasthenia Gravis you can certainly understand. And outing can be totally reunited for me when most of my energy is taking walking from the parking lot. Well to my total surprise after making it to the second window.I was told my expired license and I would need tom take written test again. But because of the time of day it would be to late to do so today. So my daughter plan another trip back for me to take written test.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here I am out on my back deck enjoying the sun. It was the first time I had been outside breathing on my own. My pose in this picture conveniently covers the trach.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't say I was a tiny bit nervous. I had not take the written drivers exam since I was 18 years old. And I struggled with study or not study. The struggle became an issue since I opted to not get manual. Well the manual is no longer free to public. The cost is $5 as I recall. My ego would not allow me to pay the cost. So I didn't study. On day of the exam I felt real secure. Well security is not all I needed. To my dismay I failed the test by 1 question. So guess what I needed to do? You guessed it. Return once again to pay my fee and retake the test. Yes, this time I did pass the test. Good news right. Not exactly I the n saw the other shoe drop. I only then was told I would also have to take the drivers test over as well. And the limited amount of slots at my small local office. But I was given options to utilize one of the bigger DMV offices. That meant also arranging a another day. Where my daughter would be available to transport me. Well her schedule changed and I never took that road test.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While dealing with my forced home imprisonment. I experimented with a new median. I created these cloth necklaces. I love bright colors. I guess you can tell. They have unfinished ends. In a natural like appearance. I guess for me it works with the African prints. You can purchase them at the link below. They are one of a kind.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I still had my old expired drivers license. I had been using it for identification all this time. Well I was out with my Dad visiting from Germany. I was required to show my Identification. I pulled out my expired driver's license. Well the expired driver's license date was noticed. And I was unable to proceed. Needless to say my dad was a little embarrassed and curious. So I told him The DMV Story. But I still needed to get some Identification. I was no where near my home DMV. So I needed to use the nearest office. They are all the same right. WRONG! I walked in thinking I could get an ID card or my Drivers Permit. Well this branch of the DMV didn't have in their computer that I passed the driver permit test. Being the slacker that I am. I didn't have the receipt in my purse. That would have been all they needed. So I needed to provide again some of the information I did in the beginning. I left the DMV once more. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are a few more pictures of the necklaces I have made.







I returned with the information that was required. And to my surprise I was able to get my drivers permit. Go figure. So I took my picture. And asked the clerk what were my driving restrictions? I was told my permit was good for a year. And that I had no driving restrictions. So then I  asked myself. If I can drive my car like a licensed driver with a permit. Why I could not receive my drivers license in the beginning. Nightmare over, I am awake and ready to be released from house jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment